(BPT) - Planning a wedding means making plenty of decisions, and one of the most important - and, hopefully, enjoyable - choices you'll make will be to select your wedding colors. Yet even when it's fun, choosing a wedding color can be challenging, as you strive for a look that's both on-trend and true to your personal tastes.
'Every wedding offers ample opportunities for personalization and your choice of wedding color will influence many of your other decisions, from the color of your groom's boutonniere to the appearance of your wedding invitations,' says Heidi Smith, wedding expert with Invitations by Dawn. 'Your wedding color should have special significance to you and your intended, and should set the tone for the overall look and feel of your wedding.'
As spring bridal season approaches, Smith and the wedding consultants at Invitations by Dawn point to these hot colors for 2014:
* Purple - The color experts at Pantone have dubbed radiant orchid as their feature color for 2014, and the hue is perfect for weddings, whether you choose a deep, rich violet or a lighter shade with pink undertones. Purple speaks of love, joy and health - all qualities every bride hopes for on her wedding day. Announce your wedding color with purple wedding invitations that give guests a sneak peek at the hue you've chosen for your big day. Purple works well in virtually every aspect of your wedding - bouquets to bridesmaid dresses, favors to table linens. You can even use purple in your wedding cake and desserts by incorporating fruit with purple hues such as plums or deliciously ripe blueberries.
* Pink - For sheer femininity and spring-like appeal, it's hard to beat the beauty of pink. A naturally nurturing and intimate color, pink imparts romance, whether you choose a bold fuchsia or a dainty pastel. The color will be popular in 2014, and is a central, recurring theme in designer Vera Wang's 2014 bridal collection. In addition to working well for centerpieces and bouquets, pink is a great color to add to wedding attire, and more than one spring bride will walk down the aisle in pink-accented pumps this year.
* Metallics - 'Great Gatsby' inspired looks have brought metallics to the fore in this year's bridal fashions. Gold, silver, bronze and coppers add both sparkle and class to a wedding, whether you choose to incorporate metallic hues in your wedding invitations or opt for bold, statement jewelry to pair with an elegant, period-inspired wedding gown. Combined with basic black or pure white, gold and silver shine with class in table linens and chair covers. Copper or bronze on foil wedding invitations shimmer, shine and seduce.
* Navy - For a nautical flair that's both elegant and exciting, Navy makes a bold statement. The hue has been a hot color choice for winter weddings, and is sure to show up in spring nuptials this year. As a choice for groomsmen's attire, navy is classic and elegant, and pairs well with accessories in light gray, peach or pinks. It's easy to convey this tasteful color throughout the wedding, from bouquets and centerpieces to stationery and shoes.
* White - No shade is more strongly associated with weddings than white, and the color remains a top choice for bridal needs in all its variations, from cream to ecru and snowy white. As a wedding color, white speaks of purity and promise, and is the ideal shade to underscore the optimism and hope for the future that embodies every wedding. Mix shades of white to create a singular effect. For example, pair cream table linens with ivory chair covers and blush-hued roses for a stunning, inspirational table. White wedding invitations can either be subtly classic or modern and evocative when accented with a pop of color.
Modern technology has made it simple to find a wedding color that's uniquely yours and convey that shade throughout every aspect of your wedding. Whether you rely on an online search to find the perfect wedding invitations in your chosen color, or use color matching to ensure your wedding shoes are dyed perfectly, it's easy to color your world with love - and the perfect hue - on your special day.