(BPT) - The popular saying 'a man's home is his castle' still holds true today. Men across the nation are investing their time, sweat and labor into do-it-yourself projects to make their homes the best fortresses they can be.
Dove Men+Care Hair has partnered with home improvement expert Jonathan Scott to offer the King of the Castle Home Upgrade contest. A man's daily activities can take a toll on his hair and Dove Men+Care Hair is proven to make hair three times stronger so, in celebration, the brand is giving one real man the chance to strengthen his home with one of these grand prize upgrades:
* Moat and functioning drawbridge for a quintessential medieval home security system
* Troop of authentic-looking British Royal Guards to protect the house for a week, featuring twice daily 'changing of the guards' ceremonies
* Ultimate backyard tree fort to give the children a strong place to play
* 'Smart home' system fit for a king, complete with the latest in automated lighting, climate control, entertainment and security
* Outdoor kitchen and dining area that is sure to become a favorite spot for family feasts
While any of these prizes could certainly turn a home into a castle, most men probably have other home strengthening projects at the top of their to-do list. Below are some important tips from home improvement expert, Jonathan Scott, to keep in mind when tackling those tricky DIY jobs.
* Don't underestimate your abilities. Many flooring and painting projects are surprisingly easier than you would think. As with any DIY projects, just be sure to use the right quality materials and consult with your local home improvement store for the best options. There are also numerous helpful videos online to guide you through the process.
* Know your limits. While there are many home improvement projects you can do yourself, there are some jobs that are best left to professional contractors. Anytime you're dealing with electrical, plumbing, gas or structure, use a pro. Hiring a licensed contractor will save you time and money in the end; even one small mistake could lead to financial loss or personal injury. It's also important to consider your time and the quality of the finished product, as well as safety.
* Make your home your own. Whether you rent or own your home, there are many ways you can showcase your style to make it your own. If you're looking to personalize your space, painting is a great way to freshen up a room if your landlord permits. Another great way to personalize your space is to use wall art, decor and furniture that mixes up the color palette.
Visit www.dovemencare.com/kingofthecastle to learn more about the 'King of the Castle Home Upgrade' contest. Contestants are invited to share why they would like to improve their homes for the chance to win.