ALBANY, N.Y. – Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and more than 170 were wounded after two bombs exploded Monday afternoon near the Boston Marathon's finish line.
The first explosion occurred on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the finish line, and the second just 100 yards away 10 seconds later. When the blasts occurred, 17,000 athletes had already finished the marathon. But only four hours into the race, and just two hours after the men's winner was declared, thousands were still running.
The surrounding area was thrown into chaos as first responders rushed to help those injured in the blast. Initial photos from the blast sites relayed the shocking horror of the scene to the world as blood stained streets and severely injured victims were captured and quickly shared on social media sites.
Another incident reported at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Columbia Point, Mass. was initially believed to be related to the two explosions. Boston's Police Commissioner Ed Davis later confirmed the incident was actually a fire, and officials do not believe it is related to the race explosions.
"This cowardly act will not be taken within stride," Davis said. "We will turn every rock over to find the people who are responsible for this."
During a press conference held Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. by FBI officials, Governor Patrick, Boston Police, and others they said no unexploded bombs were found at the Boston Marathon. He says the only explosives were the ones that went off Monday.
Boston police say there were a total of 176 casualties, 17 remain in critical condition and three people were killed, including an 8-year-old Boston boy, Martin Richard.
"My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston. My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover. Thank you," said Bill Richard, Martin's father, in a statement.
Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford, Mass. was also killed. Her father told the Associated Press that she had gone with her best friend to take a picture of the friend's boyfriend crossing the finish line on Monday afternoon.
William Campbell says his daughter, who worked at a restaurant in nearby Arlington, was "very caring, very loving person, and was daddy's little girl." He says the loss has devastated the family. A R.I.P. Krystle Campbell page has been started on Facebook.
Police have secured all area surveillance cameras and are working to process them. The FBI was not aware of any threat before explosions. Certified explosive specialists, bomb techs and K9's all working crime scene which has been reduced from 15 blocks to 12 blocks, as officials work to have everyone's lives resume back to as normal as possible.
During a press conference Monday night, officials said contrary to reports by national media, officials clarified that no suspect was in custody at the time of that press conference, and that no one was in custody at Brigham Women's Hospital.
Hospital officials confirmed that many of the victim's injuries were to their lower extremities and that several amputations had been performed. A number of patients will require repeat surgeries Tuesday and in the coming days.
One Troy native, Toni Rubino, witnessed the chaos firsthand.
"All of a sudden, it got very loud; a lot of sirens people running and law enforcement running toward the scene as we were trying to run away from it. We are all just here counting our blessings to be honest," Rubino told the NEWSCENTER. Rubino, who attended the marathon to cheer on a friend, is now staying in the lobby of a hotel because rooms are full and her car is in a garage within the crime scene.
At this time, the criminal investigation has been turned over to the FBI who is asserting jurisdiction over the bombings. The site is considered an active crime scene and is currently secured by the National Guard.
The bombings have not yet been labeled a terrorist attack by officials, but they have stated it could evolve into a terrorist investigation.
Anyone with a tip is asked to call 1-800-Call-FBI.
Security has been increased throughout the United States, especially New York.
"It is another reminder of the new normal, which is constant vigilance. The reminder was not lost on us here in New York. We have increased our police presence and our supervision in New York City certainly, but also all across the state, specifically areas of significance -- the 9/11 memorial, the port authority, the MTA. We've put on significant personnel and police resources, especially until we know the facts and circumstances about what happened in Boston," said Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Amtrak has also increased security at stations and tracks. At the Rensselear Amtrak station on Monday, security was announcing over the loud speaker that any bags or items left unattended would be confiscated by Amtrak Police.
"People feel safer. We've had people come up to us and say ‘thank you for being here' and they feel that they can come and talk to us if there is a problem. You know there is someone here that they can report it to," said Sandy Blodgett, Rensselaer County Sheriff Deputy K9 handler.
NEWSCENTER has a crew on scene and will continue to keep you updated.
Phone line for families looking for victims: #617-635-4500
Tip line for witnesses: 1-800-494-tips and 1-800-Call-FBI
Google Person Finder for Boston Marathon: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions
Track runners online: http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html
Albany Running Exchange updating local people at the Boston Marathon who are reported to be okay: https://www.facebook.com/groups/47999973601/