School Closings Alert

Inheritances and gifts

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 11:29 am
Any money or property you receive as an inheritance or a gift is not considered taxable income. However, if the inheritance or gift is used to produce income such as interest, dividends, or rent, then that income becomes taxable. If you give money or property in the amount of $12,000 or more, you’ll most likely need to file Form 709 (7-0-9). However, there are exceptions. You don't have to pay a tax on gifts made to a political organization, a charity, or your spouse. Tuition or medical expenses that you pay for someone are also considered tax-exempt. For more information on reporting income from inheritances and gifts, consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.