Winter Storm Watch expires at 10:00 AM on 11/27, issued at 3:01 AM Adams, MA | Ashley Falls, MA | Becket, MA | Berkshire, MA

Tax for the self-employed

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 11:29 am
If you're self-employed, most likely, you do not have taxes automatically withheld for Social Security and Medicare. Therefore, you're required to pay a self-employment tax to support these two programs. You may be subject this tax if you're a sole proprietor of a business, a professional who owns your own practice, or an independent contractor. Also, if you worked for a church or a qualified church organization, other than as a minister or member of a religious order, and received income, you're subject to the self-employment tax. You're allowed to deduct one-half of your self-employment tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. You can compute your self-employment tax using Schedule SE (S-E). For more information on self-employment tax, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.