Winter Storm Warning expires at 7:00 AM on 11/27, issued at 3:38 AM Amsterdam, NY | Auriesville, NY | Broadalbin, NY | Canajoharie, NY

Mistakes in your tax return

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 11:29 am
When you file your tax return without taking the full benefit of your deductions, the federal government will not send the form back to you informing you of your mistake. It's up to you to either get proper financial advice, or learn what you can deduct. Some commonly overlooked deductions include out-of-pocket contributions to charity; bus and taxi fares to and from the doctor's office; finance charges on insurance premiums; mortgage interest and real estate tax portions on your home; credit card finance charges; and the cost of alarm systems used to protect valuable investments in your home. These are only a small sampling of tax deductions available to you if you qualify. If you have any questions about whether or not to take a deduction, ask first, before you simply deduct the amount. On the other hand, if you fail to take the deductions to which you are entitled, you'll only end up paying too much tax. These notes are meant to be a general guide to federal income taxes. If you need specific advice, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.