Changing your name

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/16/2007 2:29 pm
If you decide to change or hyphenate your last name, you will need to notify several companies and organizations. These include any credit card companies, banks, the Social Security Administration, your employer, the Department of Transportation, insurance companies, car and voter registration departments, property title holders, clubs, and the post office for a new name address. Most companies or organizations, such as the Social Security Administration and the Department of Transportation, will require to see your marriage license or your new Social Security card. Be sure to contact each organization to find out exactly what they require as proof of identification before going to apply for a new card. Most credit card companies will accept a new change in name or address by simply marking it on the monthly balance statement you send in with payments. However, you may have to send something in writing and provide a copy of your Social Security card for them to change your name on your charge accounts. You employer will also require you to fill out new tax forms and will need a copy of your Social Security card for tax purposes. Being prepared and calling ahead of time will help prevent wasted time and unnecessary problems. For more information on changing your name, contact your local government agencies.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.