RENSSELAER, N.Y. - NEWS10 ABC continues to seek answers after charges were dropped against an accused child rapist, which the Rensselaer County District Attorney admits were dropped because of a mistake in paperwork.
Rensselaer County District Attorney Richard McNally told NEWS10 ABC on the phone that his Assistant District Attorney, Laura Kruegler, who admitted to making the paperwork mistake has resigned.
One of the victim's mothers spoke with NEWS10 ABC on the phone and said that she is not surprised about the resignation. Now, her family is looking into the possibility of a civil law suit.
However, McNally was unavailable to go on camera for the fourth day in a row on Friday.
Earlier on Friday, NEWS10 ABC reached McNally on his cell phone and were told to stop calling because he wouldn't be doing any interview.
McNnally has said his Assistant District Attorney failed to file the appropriate paperwork in the case against 24-year-old John Halacy of Rensselaer.
Halacy was facing 19 felony charges for sexually abusing two young girls, including rape, but because of the paperwork mistake, those charges had to be downgraded to five misdemeanors.
Halacy remains free since he only faces the misdemeanor charges, but a judge did grant three orders of protection for the victims.
He is due back in court on December 11.