Two correctional officers injured following inmate assaults in Green Haven

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 12/18/2013 5:28 pm

COXSACKIE, N.Y. – Two correctional officers were treated at local hospitals after being assaulted this month at the Green Haven Correctional Facility.

New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association, Inc., Public Relations Director James Miller said an officer was assaulted at the facility on December 7th. The officer was conducting a routine pat down on an inmate when the inmate assaulted the officer. After the inmate was restrained, officers found an ice pick like weapon on him.

Green Haven was placed on lockdown immediately following the attack on December 7th. A search of the facility found 35 homemade weapons ranging from sharpened metal to Plexiglas and wood sharpened weapons.

On December 14th, around 4:30 p.m., Laquan Carroll, 28, an inmate at the facility, was being escorted back to his cell by an officer when he struck the officer in the left side of the face with a closed fist. According to authorities, the attack was unprovoked.

The officer struck the inmate with a baton but Carroll grabbed the officer in a headlock and dragged him to the ground, falling on top of the officer.

Officers responded and were able to restrain Carroll after a brief struggle.

The injured officer was taken to Putnam Hospital for swelling, abrasions, and bruising to his face. He has been treated and released.

Carroll has been serving a 22 year sentenced since 2003 after he was convicted of two counts of Attempted Murder in the 2nd Degree and Robbery in the 1st Degree.

Another assault happened on December 16th around 12:45 p.m. in Coxsackie. Shawn Black, 28, an inmate, was waiting to be transferred to another facility why he was informed that the transfer was canceled.

Black allegedly became angry and threw a bag of linen to the floor. He then assaulted an officer by punching him in the face and head several times with closed fists, according to authorities.

A second officer intervened in an attempted to restrain Black, but the officer was also struck with closed fists. He then knocked the second officer to the floor and kicked him in the head. Additional officers responded and eventually restrained Black.

The second officer was taken to Albany medical Center to be treated for a severe laceration on his left ear which took 17 stitches to close.

Three other officer sustained injuries while attempting to subdue black but remained on duty.

Black was previously convicted of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 2nd Degree in 2011 and was sentenced to 11 years in State Prison.

Carroll and Black have not been charged criminally at this time.

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of FOX23 News.

No comments yet!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.