CLIFTON PARK, N.Y.— A four-year-old boy is being called a hero after waking up his parents and alerting them to a fire happening in their next door apartment.
Firefighters say the blaze was noticed around 5 a.m. on Saturday, and had it not been for Trystan Dezalia, the damage could have been much worse.
Jessica Dezalia, the boy’s mother, said she suddenly woke up to the sound of her son, yelling out for help.
“He just started yelling,” she said.
Trystan said that it was the sound of the smoke detector in the neighboring apartment at the Fox Run Apartments in Clifton Park that woke him up.
“I yelled and woke my brother up,” said Trystan.
“We went in, he said he heard a funny noise that he didn’t recognize,” said his mother.
Jessica Dezalia stepped outside, which is when she smelled the smoke and called 911.
Vischer Ferry Assistant Fire Chief Patrick Canale and two State Troopers were on the scene in minutes. While investigating, they found a man asleep in the apartment that was on fire.
“I just looked and I could see the gentleman lying in the living room,” said Canale.
Without gear, the three first responders ran in and rescued the man. They say the 26-year-old had fallen asleep while cooking food on the stove.
“When you see that you just instinctually react and say let's get him out of there and get him some fresh air,” said Canale.
Trystan said he wasn’t scared when he heard the smoke alarm.
“The kid was a lifesaver, if it had gone on for a little bit longer we don't know what could have happened,” said Canale.
While many people have called Trystan a hero, the boy is still modest, saying the firefighters are the ones that deserve the ‘Thank You’.
The apartment suffered minor damage. No one was injured.