SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Officials say a community center was forced to close after it was deemed unsafe Wednesday.
Officials in Saratoga Springs closed the William Ford Neighborhood Center on Wednesday morning. They say they found black mold in the building. The building has been plagued in the past with water drainage and sewage issues.
The building is less than 20 years old and intended for residents in the Jefferson and Vanderbuilt Terrace to use. The Saratoga Springs Housing Authority runs the facility.
Mayor Joanne Yepsen says she toured it recently with a building inspector and noticed some problems. Further testing revealed the problem was mold.
"We need a better facility for these residents to have programs. We need Saturday morning programs for the kids. We need night classes for the adults. There's so much we could do in there and yet the building is really unsafe and unusable,” said Mayor Yepsen.
Yepsen said an engineer from HUD will need to examine the building. Then officials will determine whether the building will be renovated or demolished and rebuilt.