COBLESKILL, N.Y. –According to officials Cobleskill middle schools will have additional security and police on campus during Tuesday’s Field Day event.
Last Thursday, two students brought a piece of paper into the Golding Middle School Principal’s Office, according to Cobleskill-Richmondville Central School District Superintendent Lynn Macan. It was titled “Hit List,” and included the names of 25 8th graders in the school and threats against them.
The list said the threats would come at the school’s Field Day event.
School administrator’s immediately contacted parents of the children on the list, as well as conducting interviews to find out who is responsible.
The district says they will continue to keep a close eye on school cameras and a well as having police presence.
"We continue to monitor the safety of our students, if we had specific information that indicated to us that our student weren’t' safe we would cancel that event,” said Macan.
According to the superintendent, the district had been investigating rumors of a similar list involving 6th graders last week.
They even had to cancel a school dance last Friday after many parent complaints, but are unaware if the two incidents are related.
"It scared the daylights out of all of us,” said Angela Santos, a parent of one of the children named on the list found Thursday.
“He has been racking his brain trying to figure out who might not like him, who might consider him an enemy and he is coming up empty,” she said. "My initial reaction was panic."
The district says it is working with police to investigate the situation, but that so far they have not been able to locate the person responsible.
The Cobleskill Police Chief Rich Bialkowski says his department will continue to interview students and make sweeps of the school to help keep them safe.
"We’re always concerned, in these times we have to take every threat seriously until proven otherwise, so that’s how we’ve been treating it,” he said.
But that promise doesn’t go far enough according to Santos, who says she wants to be able to see the list. Adding that until the person responsible is caught -- she won’t be letting her son out of her sight.
"I will go to every single class with him because I don’t feel the school is keeping my son safe, so I will keep him safe,” she said.
The district is encouraging parents to speak to their children, and to contact the police department with any information on the list.
The school will continue with scheduled activities throughout the end of the school year.