SOUTH GLENS FALLS, N.Y. - A Little Tikes bounce house went airborne and seriously injured two children leading to questions of safety.
South Glens Falls Police have called the incident a freak accident. They say that the toy was installed correctly by adults, which leaves many questioning the manufacturer of the bounce house.
The two kindergartners are still recovering after they went airborne in the bounce house on Monday.
According to police, those in charge of setting it up did everything right and followed all instructions.
A local bounce house businessman, who doesn't rent residential ones like the one involved in the accident, but does rent commercial size bounce houses, said he has his own safety concerns about the Little Tikes model.
Thomas Barber bought the Little Tikes ‘Jump and Slide Bounce House’ and inspected it himself. He says the small plastic stakes are faulty and suggests people using it should buy larger ones to hold it down safely.
“The consumer needs to know the safety of these products and this is inadequate,” said Barber, the owner of Bounce Around.
The Consumers Union said it has not received any reports about the Little Tikes Jump and Slide model, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission said it has never been recalled before.
Barber recommends a metal corkscrew stake, he says they are sold at most hardware stores and only cost about $3 to $5 each.
“If I had one of these units, I would invest in $15 worth of stakes and stake this down just to give you a little example, minimal effort,” he said.
Barber also suggests setting up a home bounce house on a dry flat space. He said the instructions that came with the model could have been clearer.
“It says do not set up in windy or rainy conditions; sudden gusts of wind may lift the product off the ground,” he said. “It doesn’t give specifics as far as wind speed at all.”
Little Tikes did not respond to a request for comment.