RENSSELAER, N.Y. – After charges were dropped against a man accused of raping girls because of paperwork, Rensselaer County Legislators want answers.
John Halacy, 24, is no longer in the Rensselaer County Jail, and county leaders still want answers on how he was able to avoid prosecution on multiple felony rape charges.
Rensselaer County Legislator Martin Reid said "They're just not following their own docket and not following their own documents this gentleman sat in our county jail on the tax payers dime for nine months."
Reid, who is the Chairman of the Rensselaer County Legislature sent a letter to the District Attorney's office asking for a detailed explanation on how the case was never prosecuted.
In the letter, the county leaders state that they, along with residents of the county, "are concerned about the failure" of his office, regarding the Halacy case.
State Assemblymen John McDonald said "We are looking at every option because two young girls were severely impacted by a heinous crime that should have been prosecuted and it hasn't been."
The families of the victims hope something will be done about their particular case.
"The question is ‘What else can we do at this time?' We don't have that answer" says McDonald.
John Halacy went before a judge Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to five misdemeanors charges, instead of the previous 19 felonies he faced. He was arrested in February after detectives determined he had been sexually abusing a 13-year-old and 14-year-old female in the city of Rensselaer between December 1, 2012 and February 8, 2013. Police also believe Halacy supplied the girls with prescription drugs.
Rensselaer County District Attorney Richard McNally has admitted his office and Assistant District Attorney have made a mistake. He says his office is also reviewing the evidence and said more misdemeanor charges could be filed.
Halacy is due back in court on December 11.