East Greenbush murder-suicide takes the life of two children

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 7/01 4:45 pm
EAST GREENBUSH N.Y. – A murder-suicide led to the deaths of three people in East Greenbush Tuesday morning, according to authorities.

East Greenbush Police said they responded to 58 Rockrose Drive at around 1:30 a.m., where three people have been pronounced dead, including two children.

During a press conference, the East Greenbush Chief of Police released details surrounding the case.

Officials say the Angela Mtambu, the deceased adult, was grieving after her son took his own life in the same home on April 1, 2014. He was a 23-year-old who had served in the military. Bernard Pamberi, the brother Mtambu, explained that the mother of three had a tough time coming to terms with her son’s death.

“She was doing all this grieving, she couldn't take it,” said Pamberi.

According to police, on June 1 Mtambu threatened to harm her daughters in the Rockrose Drive home. She was driving from Texas when the threat was made, while her children were being taken care of in East Greenbush by Pamberi.

While Mtambu drove to New York, she was intercepted in Pennsylvania by State Police. She was then detained and held for a 20-day mental health evaluation.

After 20 days in confinement and because no order of protection was issued,

Mtambu was released after the evaluation, and authorities say it was up to family members to determine the conditions of her engagement with the children.

Police say that on June 29, family members allowed Mtambu to sleep in the same room as her children. On June 30, the mother and daughters went to bed at 10 p.m. Family members say they woke up at 1:20 a.m. to the sound of gas escaping the room the trio was in.

Pamberi contacted police when he could not get inside the bedroom. He said that when they were finally inside the room, they found plastic bags and gas tanks. The East Greenbush Chief of Police says the gas has been identified as compressed nitrogen.

“There she was with the two children with the plastic bag, and there were two gas tanks there,” said Pamberi.

Pamberi’s two nieces, 11-year-old Cara and 6-year-old Kutenda were pronounced dead at the hospital. While they were at the hospital, Pamberi took handprints from his nieces, saying it will be the last memory he will have of the girls.

He said his nieces spent Monday at Hoffman's Playland and got ice cream.

“These girls we used to play and have a nice time. They were beautiful kids,” he said.

Police say no weapons were involved.

Autopsy reports reveal that all three died of asphyxia due to inhalation of nitrogen gas. Mtambu’s death has been ruled suicide, and the girls ruled homicide.
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of FOX23 News.

No comments yet!
Current Conditions
High: 33° | Low: 21°
Mostly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.