Fire Chief: 114 year old Schoharie County home burns to the ground

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 3/01 3:27 pm

SUMMIT, N.Y. – There was a house fire in Schoharie County on Friday evening, according to officials.

Summit Fire Chief Don Clarke said a smoke alarm awoke a mother and her children to flames on the second floor of the home.

Firefighters arrived to the scene and had a difficult time battling the blaze in below zero temperatures. Clarke said the water sources were frozen and hoses and fire trucks froze as well.

According to Clarke, the two story post and beam home, which was built in the year 1900, has "burned to the ground."

Those who lived in the home did not sustain any injuries. However, two firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Mutual aid was requested from multiple departments in Schoharie and Ostego Counties.

Clarke confirmed that the family did lose all of their belongings in the fire. He says the communities of Summit and Charlotteville are pulling together to help the family. The American Red Cross of Northeastern New York provided assistance to a family of two adults and two children, ages 8 and 1.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of FOX23 News.

No comments yet!
Current Conditions
66°
High: 81° | Low: 64°
Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.