It’s a Christmas one East Greenbush family will never forget.
They're spending the holiday in a hotel this year, after fire damaged their home a couple weeks ago.
But on Christmas Eve, Santa teamed up with some local firefighters to turn things around.
It must have been one of Santa’s first stops this year.
He was able to find the Lewis family who has been living in a hotel since fire ripped through their Maryland Avenue home earlier this month.
“It was very scary,” Sarah Lewis said. “The whole back of the house and the chimney was on fire.”
Sarah, her husband, and their two kids, four-year-old Madison and eight-year-old Skylar, got out safely. But all of their Christmas presents were gone.
“Santa knows where you’re at and is always watching,” Santa told Skylar as he handed him a gift.
Saturday, Santa had a bag full of goodies thanks to the Clinton Heights Fire Department, and one of Santa’s very special helpers.
“I wrote a letter to my school to bring used or new toys or clothes for the family,” said nine-year-old Madison Neilson.
Neilson doesn't know the Lewis family, but when she heard their story, she asked her fellow classmates at Rensselaer Elementary School to help.
Donations came pouring into the fire department from all over the Capital Region and from as far away as Long Island.
“We’re looking forward to Christmas tomorrow with our children, so we wanted to make sure that these children have a nice Christmas,” explained Assistant Fire Chief Seth Tracy.
The Lewis family won't be able to move back home for another three months.
But Saturday is proof, that as long as you believe, the magic of Christmas will follow wherever you go.
“The community has come together and made a terrible thing not as bad,” Sarah said.
Because of the overwhelming response, the Clinton Heights Fire Department was able to provide gifts to a few other families in need and some local foster children.
Everyone got to open presents at the hotel with Santa on Christmas Eve.
There is a fund set up for the Lewis family at Citizens Bank.
Donations can be made to the Maryland Avenue Fire Fund.