Flood Warning expires at 5:29 PM on 4/22, issued at 5:29 PM Argyle, NY | Buskirk, NY | Cambridge, NY | Clemons, NY

Fire which destroyed Rotterdam home ruled accidental

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 11/07/2013 11:35 am

ROTTERDAM, N.Y. –A fire which ripped through an Elizabeth Street home on Wednesday has been ruled accidental.

All three people living in the home are accounted for and uninjured, but now the worry is where they will live.

When firefighters arrived at the home on Elizabeth Street, flames were shooting through the roof and out the windows.

"I was just afraid the flames were going to spread," said neighbor Connie Cappello.

Cappello said she was able to get her dog out of the house, but says the powers been cut and she's not sure when she can go back inside.

The homeowner Roberta Whtiing says she only found out about the fire after she pulled up to her street and saw all the fire trucks.

"We had no way to contact her," said her cousin, Maria Simmons.

Whtiing lives in the home with her two sons, and Simmons said she was panicked that one of the sons may be home – he has special needs and is wheelchair bound.

In the end, no one was in the home, and the Red Cross has provided food, clothing, and lodging to the three.

Fire investigators have determined the blaze was accidental.  Officials say the fire was caused by electrical problems.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of FOX23 News.

No comments yet!
Current Conditions
33°
High: 62° | Low: 31°
Partly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.