Paige Street house explosion being investigated by officials

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/12 6:01 pm

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Officials confirm a natural gas leak caused a home explosion in Schenectady.

The home at 310 Paige Street was a green, two story, wood-frame building. On Sunday afternoon, it was reduced to rubble after it exploded.

Officials say the explosion was caused by natural gas, but the home had been vacant for about a year. National Grid is looking into the gas leak, and said the status of the account was inactive.

Schenectady’s City Attorney confirms the city took over the home back in October 2012 as part of the Urban Renewal Program.

Meanwhile, those that live in the two neighboring homes remain displaced.

“It was bad. Very bad,” neighbor Ramon Nazrio said.

Nazrio lives next door to the explosion and hasn’t been home since the blast. His windows were blown out, and the wall was compromised.

“They sealed the window now because of the rain or something,” he said. “They don’t want the rain to go inside the house and damage the inside of the house.”

The Schenectady mayor said the incident highlight’s the city’s bigger problem of foreclosed, vacant homes. More than 200 vacant homes have fallen into foreclosure and are now owned by the city.

The mayor said there is not an electronic database with a list and records for vacant homes. All the information is still on paper making it harder for city officials to keep track.

 

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of FOX23 News.

No comments yet!
Current Conditions
47°
High: 63° | Low: 42°
Partly Cloudy

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.