RENSSELAER, N.Y. – John Halacy entered a not guilty plea to five misdemeanor charges in court Wednesday after a mistake in paperwork led to the dismissal of most of the charges he faced in the alleged abuse of two teens.
Angry family members of one of the alleged victims were in the courtroom while Halacy pleaded not guilty to second-degree Attempted Rape, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, and Unlawful Imprisonment.
Halacy, 23, was arrested in February after detectives determined he had been sexually abusing a 13-year-old and 14-year-old female in the city of Rensselaer between December 1, 2012 and February 8, 2013. Police also believe Halacy supplied the girls with prescription drugs.
His attorney didn't have much to say regarding five new misdemeanor charges that have been brought against his client. When NEWS10 ABC reached out to the D.A.'s office to find out more about the charges, we were told he was unavailable.
Halacy was previously facing 19 felony charges, including Rape. He was released from county jail earlier this week.
The Rensselaer County District Attorney Richard McNally admits they made a mistake and didn't file the appropriate paperwork in time, so many of the charges had to be dropped.
The mother of one of the alleged victims was in court this morning and says just being near Halacy was tough. She also said she didn't understand why Assistant District Attorney Laura Kruegler, who admitted to making the mistake, was in court prosecuting the case Wednesday.
Halacy remains free since he only faces misdemeanor charges, but the judge did grant three orders of protection for the victims.
Halacy is due back in court on December 11.