ELSMERE, Del. (AP) — A motorist in Delaware was severely burned over the weekend when the lighted cigarette he threw out of his car window was blown back inside by the wind, and ignited the interior of the vehicle, officials said.
It happened about 6:45 p.m. local time Sunday in the town of Elsmere. Authorities said in a news release that 49-year-old Travis Paul Smith suffered second and third-degree burns to his lower body.
Police said the vehicle came to rest in a ravine and several motorists stopped and pulled Smith to safety.
Smith was flown to the Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Pennsylvania.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.