(SportsNetwork.com) - Carmelo Anthony had previously said he planned to opt out of his contract with the New York Knicks and reportedly will do just that on Monday.
Anthony has a June 23 deadline to make that decision and Yahoo Sports cited a source in a report Sunday that said the seven-time All-Star will notify the Knicks of his intention to exercise that right and become a free agent.
The 30-year-old veteran, in past comments, said he wouldn't rule out a return to the Knicks, adding that he just wanted to test the market.
Teams reportedly interested in Anthony include the Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets.
The Knicks, however, can offer Anthony the most money and longest contract. New Knicks president Phil Jackson, however, has indicated that he would like Anthony to take less money in an effort to rebuild a team that missed the playoffs in 2013-14.
Anthony averaged 27.4 points, a career-high 8.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 77 games for the Knicks this past season. He sat out the final two games with a shoulder injury once the Knicks were eliminated from postseason contention.
In three-plus seasons since joining the Knicks in a February 2011 trade from Denver, Anthony has averaged 26.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
The Syracuse product has career averages of 25.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 790 games with the Nuggets and Knicks.